Sunday, March 19, 2000

WASHINGTON, D.C. - LABYRINTHS FOR PEACE: 2000



One of the first events, of the newly formed Labyrinth Society, was to host Labyrinths for Peace in March of 2000 just around, by coincidence, Spring Equinox.   Spearheaded by Sandra Wasko-Flood it was a huge success and called attention to the Labyrinth as a growing positive influence in our culture. She secured the necessary 'permits' to use the lawn, and space in the Rotunda for the Traveling Labyrinth Presentation.  Marty Cain and other volunteers placed several labyrinths on the East Lawn of the Capital Building in Washington, D.C.



There were even some canvas portable Labyrinths brought in by members (Sue Anne Foster pictured here), from as far away as California! Many members came to give their support.

I volunteered to answer questions from the public. On March 21st, when the day was over I asked permission if I could do a private pipe ceremony to Mother Earth and honor the Spring Equinox. My host, Jane Buckman took this picture not knowing that I normally ask that pictures of ceremony not be taken. When she sent me the copy I was surprised, and looked closer.
I could see that there was a red line from my forehead to the Earth! I wasn't wearing anything red. I sensed in awe, that it was Creator showing me how Earth Mother was connecting to my prayers. I am always humbled by the power of nature and our cosmic connections, and the magnification of energy in the center of a Labyrinth.  That year, in the Fall, Congress passed the Violence Against Women Act.  Never doubt the magnification of harmony and peace that can be generated from the center of a labyrinth.
After the Conference, the U.S. Parks service asked that all the 'flags' be removed. I called Jane and Bob Buckman and asked them if they had taken any pictures AFTER the event because I knew that all the walkers would have left their "mark". Sure enough, they went back and these are the pictures showing, again, how we leave our footprints on Mother Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment